What is Community Day?
Community Day is a day of campus-wide service aimed at strengthening our campus community while giving back to our neighbors and fulfilling our Jesuit mission of being men and women with and for others.
One day of service to make a difference.
So What Will I Be Doing?
- Every participant is split into a different groups.
- Each group will go together and serve at a different service site around Saint Joesph's University. A site leader will lead you to the site and provide transportation if needed (some sites are within walking distance)
- A free breakfast & T-Shirt (first come first get) will be provided to all volunteers!
- We will be holding a raffle for prizes as well!
8:30am – Meet inside the Perch – Sign in, get a t-shirt, purchase and enjoy a breakfast (coffee, donuts and bagels) and get ready to serve!
8:45am – Orientation presentation begins
9:00am – Group leaders will begin to drive/walk with their group to the service site. Service begins!
1:00/1:30pm – Arrive back on campus!
What Should I Wear?
Most of our service sites will have us serving outside. This may include gardening, weeding, or even painting. We recommend wearing jeans and a t-shirt. Pay attention to the weather forecast!
What to wear:
- Jeans or Long pants
- Closed toed shoes
- T-shirt you are okay to get dirty in
What not to wear:
- No shorts
- No low-cut, tight clothing, or midriffs exposed
- No flashy jewelry
This day of service began in April, 2007 when the University Student Senate, Black Student Union and Student Union Board joined forces to serve our community in hopes of softening tensions on campus as well as giving back to our community. The first Community Day had approximately sixty volunteers and served three service sites across the Philadelphia area.
Since then, Community Day has been held once per semester, and boasts over 300 volunteers and 10+ service sites each semester. An official Community Day team was formed to plan the day, and Community Day became a student organization in the Spring of 2009.
Spring 2009 Community Day took an exciting step– partnering with National Alumni Board’s National Day of Service to become National Community Day. Now, in addition to serving sites across Philadelphia, Community Day took place nationally– with both current Hawks and Hawk Alumni leading the efforts. In of Spring 2012, National Community Day has officially gone international and has rebranded itself as Global Community Day!
As of Spring 2017 for its 10th anniversary, the SJU Habitat for Humanity Campus Chapter has taken over Community Day to continue its tradition. Community Day perfectly aligns with the SJU Habitat Campus Chapter's mission of building communities and serving others.
Want to play a bigger role on community day? We are searching for site leaders. Your role would be leading a group to a service site (potentially with a co-leader) and possibly driving there with an SJU Vehicle if you wish.
We are looking for:
- Site leaders who are not SJU van trained
- Site leaders who are SJU van trained and comfortable driving a 12 passenger van
- Site leaders who are SJU van trained and comfortable driving only a mini van
To be a site leader, just say so when registering for the event. If you already registered and want to be a site leader just email us!
If you want to be a site leader please let us know or register ASAP.