Habitat for Humanity International Inc. (“Habitat”), a Georgia nonprofit corporation, is an ecumenical Christian housing ministry that seeks to eliminate poverty housing from the world and to make decent shelter a matter of conscience and action. Habitat invites people from all walks of life to work together in partnership to help build houses with families in need.
The Saint Joseph’s University Habitat for Humanity Campus Chapter has been set up to assist Habitat by working with a local affiliate and with Habitat’s international headquarters to carry out the mission and principles of Habitat for Humanity:
"Seeking to put God’s love into action, The Saint Joseph’s University Habitat for Humanity Chapter will strive to educate and bring awareness to the housing crisis affecting our local community while bring people together to build homes, communities and hope."
In primary partnership with the Habitat for Humanity Affiliate of Philadelphia this club at Saint Joesph's University is an unincorporated, student-run, student-led group.
The four functions of this club are:
1) To serve in order to develop a safer and comfortable community for our brothers and sisters.
2) To build and rehabilitate houses in partnership with Habitat for Humanity affiliates and homeowners.
3) To raise funds for the work of Habitat for Humanity and partnering organizations.
4) Educating the chapter members, campus and local community about the work and mission of Habitat for Humanity and the need for affordable housing.
- Demonstrate the love of Jesus Christ and serve God by serving others.
- Promote dignity and hope
- Focus on shelter.
- Advocate for affordable housing.
- Support sustainable and transformational development.